Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Made it to Christchurch!

Finally made it all the way to NZ-with very little sleep at all on the journey it's no wonder I'm feeling sleepy. I shared a taxi with the man I'd been sitting next to on the plane from the airport to our respective hostels. This man David was from Belgium, but had been in Australia for two months, and flying over to NZ for the first time-so we had a few things to chat about which passed the time nicely :-) Then I took myself on a walk into the centre of Christchurch, and I saw lots of evidence of the earthquake a few years ago. Many derelict buildings that I suppose would cost money to deal with, so instead have been abandoned. There is however a very lovely arty vibe in those areas, with bits of sculpture, and loads of colourful graffiti/murals all over. Some of the buildings, in a bizarre way, have a certain rustic appeal in their crumbly state. And there's a makeshift shopping mall called Re:Start built of shipping containers, which has a funky look to it. Oh, and I also chanced upon the Cardboard Cathedral that was built when he other was damaged-just as evensong was starting. So I decided to pop in. Was very pleasant, though I very nearly nodded off, so was glad it was not a long service!

No comments:

Post a Comment