Monday, 14 September 2015

*updated* Tasman glacier and on to Queenstown

Hired a bike to cycle the 8km to the Tasman glacier...this is another massive lake that didn't exist a few decades ago, but is rapidly growing...the glacier that is far at the other end of the lake is receding by 400 to 800m a year apparently, unbelievable! Feeling somewhat floppy and stricken with cold today (still! Boo!) But hopefully a couple of days with limited physical activity from here on shall help! 

Able Tasman, who many things in this country are named after, was a Dutch adventurer who found New Zealand before captain Cook did (who many other things are named after)

Getting the coach to Queenstown soon...more later!...

...a beautiful journey today. we passed through a valley named lindis (second picture) after lindisfarne on the way to Queenstown...And it bears no resemblance whatsoever to where it got it's name from...was lovely though.And I've worked out the main difference between here and England, other than slightly bigger and less populated, is no dry stone walls!

Feeling a little sad to have left mount cook without achieving quite everything I would have liked...And Queenstown is much bigger...On first impressions I like it less, but there is so much to do I'm sure it shall win me over!

Day trip to Milford sound tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment