I had more time, so went on to the dam further down the river, which like Huka falls, created some spectacular waterfalls. The water is such a vivid example blue here, which adds to the prettiness. Then headed back up the other side of the river, and decided I had to stop for food at Huka falls, which was handy, as there was a massive hail storm just as I got there! I had a hot pie, which was great to begin with, but slightly concerningly I found to be cold in the middle, so asked for it to be further heated up...but I'm hoping there are no sicky repercussions as I'm booked on a trip tomorrow to do a famous walk...the Tongariro Crossing. It's meant to be one of the most beautiful in the world, and I've spent a bit of money to go with a group with a coach transfer, guides and equipment. So really hoping I don't get food poisoning, as this could somewhat put paid to my plans!!
I was fine on Tuesday, phew! So I was able to partake in my planned walking of the Tongariro Crossing. This is a 20km trail that takes you through the highest mountains (actually volcanoes) on the North Island. Because it's so snowy up there, and the track doesn't return to he same start point, the best way of doing it is to go with a group who transport and guide you. In summer it's easier to get the shuttle bus and walk it on your own, but that option isn't running at the moment. Which is good, because they were expecting up to 150 people to do the route today, as opposed to the summertime average of 3000 people. It must be extremely crowded in summer, as it felt like there were a lot in our group! It was a beautiful walk, and there was much fresh snow from yesterday. The guides didn't run the walk yesterday as it was predicted to be poor conditions...and I'm sure that hail storm would have been troublesome up there! The walk bypasses the highest peaks, which are more commonly attempted in summer, but they did look enticing. We all were supplied with crampons just in case, but the snow was stable enough not to require them. It was so unspoiled with yesterday's fresh snow! We got to slide down some slopes, as it was easier than walking, and safe due to the thickness of the snow, and the flat areas at the bottom of said slopes. The area didn't quite resemble the Mordor of Lord of the Rings that I am more familiar with, as in the films the area is so dry and snowless! There were a couple of bare patches without snow, where the geothermal activity beneath us had turned the snow to steam... And one volcano in particular the route takes a wide course around, as it last erupted only in 2012, and it still produces quite a torrent of steam! I asked the guides if there's any advance warning of such an eruption, to which they said there are usually earthquakes and a loud cracking noise first, and that if we saw them running we were to follow. Reassurance at its greatest I thought!!! It was a long descent to the car park at the bottom, but our bus was waiting, with drinks ready for us :-) A very lovely day out!
No comments:
Post a Comment